Alpine climbing courseUrner Alps
This week is for those who want to be more self constant in the mountains and want to learn new techniques in alpine terrain.
Theory and practical exercises alternate during five days. The aim of the course is to learn the techniques of how to move safe on the glacier and how to climb safe on steeper alpine terrain on both rock, ice and snow.
Arrival, and meeting. Walking up to Süstlihutte. Rock climbing on cliff near the hut.
After early breakfast we continue with rock-climbing skills at the nearby Kanzelgrat – “Airy” ridge climbing and perfect route for training various alpine techniques.
We practice our new skills into a longer course such as Trozigplanggstock. We go through what is needed for longer trips, tour planning, risk analysis, navigation, alpine techniques and equipment.
Glacier travel on the Steingletscher. Rescue techniques, crampon and ice-axe training and route finding.
We establish new knowledge and climb Sustenhorn.
The program can be changed due to weather/snow conditions and skills of participants.
Among other things, the course contains:
- Alpine techniques: Moving together, short-roping, multi-pitching and running belays techniques as well as different rappel techniques in alpine terrain.
- Equipment: A review of all the equipment for alpine climbing and the advantages and disadvantages of different types of equipment.
- Training with special equipment: How to climb with crampons and ice-axe in various terrain. Self arrest with ice-axe.
- Tour planning: Time and route planning, risk analysis.
- Glacier Knowledge: Route Finding, glacier travel, glacier rescue.
- Navigation/routefinding: How to navigate with map and compass in dense fog?
We are happy to arrange Alpine climbing course from mid June to beginning of October.
Fixed date for summer 2020:
Check if we have this activity already planned in the booking calendar, if not make a request and we will get back to you soon.
The course can be customized to fit the level of participants. However, some basic rock climbing skills and expericence is very recommended. If you need to shape up your rock climbing skills before this course see “rock climbing intro weekend”.
Up to four participants per guide, 1:4.
June to October
Flight to Zurich, transfer to Engelberg by train.
The passenger needs to travel and accident insurance for the implementation of this activity.
1200CHF/day for groups up to 4people
Course five days with UIAGM/IVBV/IFMGA mountain guide
Travel to Sustenpass, Switzerland. Lunch and drinks. Accommodation before and after the course.
Alpine climbing course, equipment list
Below is a recommended checklist that may change depending on weather and snow conditions. Please contact us if you need to rent anything of the list below.
Crampons, harness, ice-axe, helmet, mountain boots, trekking poles.
- Backpack 30-35 liters
- Headlamp & spare batteries
- Warm hat & sunhat
- Warm jacket
- Underlayer, mid layer, extra socks
- Jacket (wind and waterproof)
- Trousers (wind and waterproof)
- Thin and warm gloves
- Water bottle 1 liter
- Snacks, Bars
- Blister kit & painkillers: Including Compeed blister plasters and elastoplast or similar
- Earplugs: If you sleep together in the dormitory at the mountain station and there is a lot of movement.
- Sleeping sheet for the huts