Ice climbing courseAlps
A two day ice-climbing course is good way to learn the fundamentals properly. During the course you learn how to use technical ice-axes and crampons on vertical ice.
In Engelberg there’s various of opportunities to have great ice-climbing in any levels. To get out most of a day on a frozen cascades we climb maximum two clients per guide.
During a two day course on frozen waterfalls we will go through the fundamentals of ice and winter climbing. The aim of the course is to be confident on steep ice and participate in a rope-team as a second on multi-pitch ice-falls. The course is also adapted to the clients level and ambitions. Among other things the course contains:
- Climbing techniques on ice
- Clothing in winter enviroment
- Anchor systems, belay stance management
- Placing ice screws
- Multiple rappels, abalokov anchors
- Routines as a second on multi-pitch ice-falls
Here’s a example of a two days course in Engelberg:
Climbing singel pitch ice on a suitable ice-fall near Fürenalp. Learning the fundamental techniques with technical ice-axes and crampons. Spending the night in Engelberg.
Multi-pitch climbing near Fürenalp. Routines as a second in a rope-team on long winter ice routes. Multiple rappels with use of abalakov anchors.
We are happy to arrange ice-climbing courses all days during the week from beginning of December to end of January.
Please make a request about what, when and where and we will get back to you soon.
This course is for beginners. However, the course will be adapted to the clients level. Good fitness is always required for climbing activities.
Two days from 09.00-16.00
The client needs a travel and accident insurance for the implementation of this activity.
Price two days course
1 client from 1100CHF
2 clients from 1300CHF
Expenses for the guide is not included in the daily fee(lifts, travel costs, lodging etc.)
Guide fee depends on
- Type of activity and where
- Course seriousness and difficulty
- Course length (day tour or bivinights included)
- If going alone or in a bigger group
- If booking a single day or several days
- High season or low season
The price is based on the recommended daily fee by the Swiss Bergführerverband, SBV.
Ice climbing equipment list
Below is a recommended checklist that may change depending on conditions and choice of route. Please contact us if you need to rent anything of the list below.
Technical crampons, harness, technical ice-axes, helmet, winter mountain boots
- Backpack 35 liters
- Warm hat and Balaclava
- Warm jacket
- Underlayer, mid layer, extra socks
- Jacket (wind and waterproof)
- Trousers (wind and waterproof)
- Thin and warm gloves
- Water bottle 1 liter
- Snacks, Bars
- Blister kit: Including Compeed blister plasters and elastoplast or similar
- Earplugs: If you sleep together in the dormitory at the mountain station and there is a lot of movement.
- Sleeping sheet for the huts